The API Department is a part of the Information Services and Technology (IST) division. We evolved out of an earlier department (Architecture, Middleware, and Common Applications) in 2012, with a vision of providing a hub of critical engineering that would enable the overall mission of campus IT.
At its inception, the department was tasked by campus leadership with rapid organizational change. More than 100 people were merged rapidly into the API department, as Operational Excellence formed Campus Shared Services-IT, and the Office of the CIO established an Associate CIO model for the large central IT organizations. API Department projects included the establishment of Productivity Suite for campus collaboration software, the implementation of Box.com, the retirement of Calmail and migration to Google Suite.
The Architecture, Platforms and Integration Mission
- supports the intentional planning of processes, applications and infrastructure to ensure that technology delivers real value towards executing academic and administrative strategy.
- provides customer engagement and product management coupled with operational technology support for cross-functional campus IT services.
- provides the processes, technology and middleware that will enable UC Berkeley’s architectural vision and connect functions and data between campus IT platforms effectively.
We are committed to
- automating routine tasks
- embracing Agile processes
- taking advantage of economies of scale at the campus level (rather than each department recreating local solutions)
- simplifying complex legacy operations
- championing the transformative potential of technology for higher education